Pages

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Why You Should Write All Your Blog Post in MS Word

Blogging is one of those things we take for granted. We click on the "new post" button and open up a page to a blank white rectangle where we start to type. It's a no brainer, right?

Take a lesson from someone who thought the same thing.

As a writer, I back up everything. And I do mean everything. You never know when you might lose your content, want to make changes, or take from that writing to build a new post at a later date. 

I spent an entire year, writing blogs on a site that I thought were "safe" from ever disappearing. Those blogs were part of a paid blogging network. Little did I ever expect that the site would get bought out and I'd be left with no more blog posts. 

Mistake #1
I didn't have a back up of those blog posts. 

Mistake #2
I counted on that blank white rectangle square in my blog host to catch all my mistakes. There are probably some in this one, but not as many as there would be if it hadn't been for my word document software catching my spelling errors and fragment sentences. 

But, as writers we know we can have a fragment. We write. We drive English teachers across the states in mad frenzies because we make a statement with just two words that may not have a verb. Writers rights.

Mistake #3
This is kind of like talking out both sides of your mouth. 3a. Never assume you're blog is going to make a good book. 3b. Assume your blog will make a good book. A word document makes it so much easier to keep all your post together for formatting purposes. 

So now that I've shared my experience with blogging within a blog, let me give you a bonus to writing your post in a word document. 

You have access to more fonts, more layout flexibility and take a look at my signature below. Yep, just wrote it in word. BONUS!! No separate application or pic needed. 


Susan




No comments:

Post a Comment